Friday, August 2, 2013

Pinsperation! First Ever DIY or DI-Don't

Hello everyone! I have been updating my blog, and posting a lot more.. I hope you like it! You can now, sign up to receive e-mails when I post something new, you can check out Youtube videos without leaving my blog (Just scroll over a video you would like to watch, and it will start playing!), you can see a slideshow of my favorite photos, and see how many people have checked out my blog! I also have links to some of my favorite blogs! So, go check them out! But, I didn't want to post just about the new additions to my blog, I wanted to do some crafts!

I haven't done that many in the past couple of weeks (more like months..). But, I wanted to start something new, *Cue the singing Disney Princess* "Its a whole new world!" (Not sure why, bit it reminded me of that..) 
I want to start a new "collection/series" of crafts.. I think I'm going to call it, DIY or DI-Don't. I want to find Pins on Pinterest and try them out.., see how well/easy these things are! I want to show you the pictures of their "turn out" and mine after I try it. So, without further ado, here is the first post in the multi part series,


DIY or DI-Don't

Hey guys! This is the first ever "DIY or DI-Don't"... I hope nothing too bad happens, but I'm ready to fail. Who knows.. it might turn out alright, right? So, I was just scrolling on my Pinterest, by the way you should REALLY follow me! (click here!) As I was scrolling, something caught my eye. I slowed down to see what it was...and what should appear, but a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer! No, but a really cute, and pretty quick, DIY! It was, how to make a light bulb into a super cute night light! Here take a look!
Like I said, that's really cute! So, I am going to give it a try for you guys! I hope it turns out just as good as this picture..
Here's what it says to do, in case you want to, too! (Haha it rhymes!)
  1. Take a lightbulb, you probably want to take one from the lamp you want the "night light" effect to shine through.
  2. Take a Sharpie, or perminate marker. If you want a REALLY intricate design, I suggest using a fine tip marker. I'm going to use one of those fatter ones.. I don't think I have much to draw. 
  3. Draw on the light bulb.
  4. Screw it into the lamp or other fixture,
  5. And BAM! You have a REALLY cool new "night light"!
Its pretty easy.. as long as you have a partially steady hand and don't smudge it while its wet. A while back, I saw on Pinterest (where else?), a peter pan cut out that someone had put on the top of a lamp shade, it had a really cool effect. It was like Peter Pan's shadow was on your wall.. I had really wanted to try it out, but with no suitable lamp shades, I tossed the project. Now, that I am doing this, it would be a great idea to try and draw Peter on the top of the light bulb and see if it works the same way.. Its a good plan, but will it actually work? Hmm.. I'm off to test the theory! I'll be back with pictures of my adventures! By the way, here's the peter/lamp/nightlight.
Ok... So after a looonngg 15 something minutes of trying to save this project, its finished. I started out by finding peter pan shadow clip art, knowing I COULDN'T for the life of me free hand. I found a good one, (If you want to do this project I advise you read to the VERY end.. but here's the clip Peter Pan) I took that image and put it in WordPad. I made it small enough to fit on the top of the light bulb and printed it.
 I taped it on, as you can see. Then, I ran into a small (but HUGE) problem. How am I going to stencil this onto the light bulb? The image is too small to cut out with scissors.. an exacto knife might have worked, but I thought I could get the sharpie to bleed through the paper and onto the bulb. I tested it by writing a small dot on the paper, and it...worked! So, I began filling in all of the peter image with sharpie. 
After a while, I wanted to check and see how it was coming out. I lifted the paper... and nothing. Nothing was on the bulb, except a few black smudges where the ink and "attempted" to come through. So, I couldn't just leave the bulb... I began to free hand it. It was going okay, until I started Peter's right leg.. I knew I had to make this picture into something else.. because the way it was, it didn't look like two legs. It looked like some deformed line.. Long story short... This is the finished product..
I know.. It looks BAD.. I made it into two chevron stripes, with a bow in the middle. Then, I drew in some random designs. It looks REALLY bad... But, I thought maybe it wouldn't be so ugly, if it actually turned out a cool shadow. I ran over to my lamp and screwed it in! I'll save you the trouble... It didn't "turn" out anything.. It's about 3:00 p.m here.. so, maybe I'll give it another shot at night? But, its looking like a dud.. And I only had the lamp on for 2 minutes and the black sharpie part of the bulb is SUPER hot!! Maybe, don't use black Sharpie? I wouldn't try this for the "night light" part, but because you could make a really cool bulb design.. (To show off when its NOT on!)
I hope you liked this DIY.. Even though it didn't turn out good.. That's what is fun about it! Testing out the different projects! Stick around for another "edition" soon! 
Talk to you soon!,
Zoe




No comments:

Post a Comment